- Mental Wellness 🧠
- Physical Wellness ⚽
- Grade 4-6
- Grade 7-9
Body awareness is the ability to recognize where your body is in space. Developing body awareness helps us to be more conscious and connected to our bodies.
Develop body awareness through creatively and fluidly moving the body into different symmetrical and asymmetrical positions.
- Watch the video Symmetrical and Asymmetrical figures to learn the difference between symmetrical and asymmetrical.
- Find a partner to start this activity with. One person lies down on the floor and closes their eyes. Then, they try to place themselves in what they perceive to be a symmetrical position. Scan your body and try to sense your position from the inside.
- When they are ready, the partner will look to see how symmetrical they are. The partner corrects the position if it is not symmetrical.
- Switch roles with your partner.
- Start the 15 second interval timer. You will have 10 seconds to get ready.
- Lie on the floor with your eyes closed and adjust your body until you feel that you are in a symmetrical position.
- When you hear the signal, move your body into an asymmetrical position, keeping your eyes closed. At the next signal, move back to a symmetrical position. Notice the difference between how these different forms feel from the inside.
- Repeat this for 3-4 minutes.
- Now you will try to make different symmetrical positions with your body at different levels – standing, sitting, or lying down. The key is to change your position every time you hear a signal in the music
- What did you find enjoyable about this activity? What did you find challenging?
- How did you feel before doing this exercise? How do you feel after? What changes did you notice in your body, mind, heart, and spirit?
Make different symmetrical poses with a partner, in a small group, or with the whole class.