- Spiritual Wellness 🙏
- Mental Wellness 🧠
- Grade 4-6
- Grade 7-9
Self-discovery is the process and journey of learning about your identity – who you are and the important role you play in the world.
Use the tree as a symbol to discover more about yourself.
- Drawing utensils
- In Indigenous cultures, the relationship with the land and Mother Earth is very special, the tree is grounded in Mother Earth and grows from her. Imagine yourself as a tree. What type of tree are you? What does this tree look like? Imagine your trunk strong, with roots that extend deep into the earth. Your trunk and your roots are built from your inner resources, your deepest values and your deepest ties. Above the ground, your branches spread out far and wide. They develop from your goals, your dreams, and your wildest aspirations.
- When you are ready, start to draw your tree. Allow yourself to draw freely without feeling the need for perfection. There is no right or wrong way to draw your tree.
- You may want to add images, symbols and or words to represent these different parts of yourself – your values, goals and dreams.
- When you are finished, take a minute to reflect on your drawing. What does your tree say about you and where you are in your life right now?
- Share your tree with a friend or classmate. Ask them what they think the tree says about you.
- As a person with a special relationship with the earth, how are you growing as a person? How does this relationship help you?
- Imagine how your tree might be different if you drew it 5 years from now. In what ways might it remain the same? In what ways might it change?